Thatched houses and thatched cottages are seen as idyllic properties to live in. Thatched homes are often situated in quiet, rural areas and are more peaceful than the hustle and bustle of a city.
Thatch is a durable material that has been used on roofs for centuries and is naturally resistant to adverse weather conditions. Thatched roofs are not only strong but provide excellent insulation, keeping homes warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
Some people aspire to own a thatched house or thatched cottage, however they do come at a cost. Thatched roofs naturally degrade over time and require a lot of maintenance and upkeep in comparison to standard tile or slate roofs. General checks are advised for any wear and tear and occasionally work may be required on the roof, from patching and small repairs to rethatching the entire roof.
It is also important to make sure the correct insurance policy is in place to protect your thatched home.
Thatched home insurance tends to cost more than a standard home policy, however finding the right cover at the right price doesn’t have to be a struggle.
When researching insurance, it is essential to know what is covered and what your policy limits are. Thatched homes cost more than standard properties to rebuild due to the materials and methods required, so ensure you know an accurate rebuild cost when retrieving a quote.
A higher rebuild cost is one reason why thatch insurance premiums are higher than standard. Another reason is fire risk. Statistically, the likelihood of a thatched roof catching fire is similar to a standard roof however if the thatch does ignite, the fire spreads more rapidly causing more damage.
Many home insurance providers will refuse to quote for a thatched property and only focus on standard homes, therefore using a specialist insurance broker with experience in providing thatch insurance can save you a lot of time and money.
As a leading insurance broker, our dedicated thatch insurance team here at Higos has access to many thatch insurance products and will complete a review of available products, providing you with details of the best policy to suit your exact requirements.
The benefits of using an insurance broker include:
- Your insurance broker will find the best policy to suit your exact requirements for the best possible price, saving you the hassle of shopping around yourself
- They will ask the right questions and be able to suggest the best cover and policy limits for your thatched property
- You’ll have peace of mind knowing that should the worst happen, your property and possessions are fully insured
- Using a broker isn’t necessarily more expensive than going online or direct to the insurance company – they may actually save you money!
- They understand the insurance jargon and small print so you don’t have to worry about being caught out or missing important information
- Some thatch policies may exclude cover for high value or collectable items whereas with a broker, you can receive a bespoke quote to suit your exact needs
- They will deal with a claim on your behalf – at Higos we have a dedicated claims department who will manage your claim and handle the process for you, eliminating any additional stress during this time
Thatched houses and thatched cottages are expensive to build, repair and maintain therefore making sure you have the right insurance policy is essential should anything unexpected happen.
At Higos, our dedicated thatch team have many years’ of experience in providing excellent levels of cover for thatched properties and can help you find the right policy to suit your needs. Call our team today on 01458 270 352 or email email@example.com