Do Students Need Contents Insurance At University?

Do I Need Student Contents Insurance?

At Higos, we understand when a student leaves home for university, contents insurance might not be at the top of their shopping list. Nonetheless, students at university can be known to take thousands of pounds worth of belongings away with them, making them more susceptible to suffer a loss such as theft, fire or accidental damage. Having appropriate contents insurance cover for students at university can help cover their possessions such as laptops, game consoles and mobile phones.

Will I Be Covered For Contents Through My Parents Home Insurance?

Whilst it’s wise for students to be prepared for life away from home, before you purchase a new policy remember to check if cover for contents at university can be covered by your parents home insurance. It’s important to check specific policy wordings and endorsements as cover away from the home may not always be automatically covered. For example you may want to check if your parents home insurance policy covers contents at university for more than one child away at a time; particularly if there is already an older sibling at university already. You may also want to check if your parents policy covers for accidental damage and the limits for specific items away from the home.

Why Do Students Need Contents Insurance?

Theft and accidental damage to your possessions whilst away at university are the  most typical types of claims that may occur. A student living on campus or a shared house can be more susceptible to being targeted by thieves. You are also more likely to accidentally dropping your laptop, iPhone, musical instrument or other valuables can be a hefty unexpected expense. Whilst it’s not mandatory for students to have contents insurance at university, nonetheless not having much money means replacing expensive possessions can be a heavy hit to student finances.

Bespoke Contents Insurance

At Higos, we understand exactly what your contents mean to you and there’s nothing we love more than finding you the right insurance so you can be confident you're thoroughly protected. That’s why we’ve built a friendly, expert Contents Insurance team to provide bespoke, specialist insurance cover, specifically tailored to you.

If the unexpected should happen, we have a friendly in-house claims team ready to provide a prompt and personal service.

If you’re interested in speaking to a chartered insurance broker for advice or a quotation for contents insurance get in contact with us at Higos. Alternatively fill out our online request a call-back form and a member from our specialist home insurance team will call you back.

Get in touch

Give us a call on 01458 270324 if you have any questions or click the 'request a callback' button.