Tel: 01749 834 500 Contact us for a quote
  • Travel Insurancearrow

    Our dedicated Travel Department is here to help with all your travel insurance requirements, whether you are planning a city break, a package holiday or a special trip to somewhere far away.

    Higos offers travel insurance with an extensive age limit of 100 and can also provide cover for people with existing or pre-existing medical conditions

    Travel insurance is usually purchased as a standard combined package of covers designed to protect you from a variety of adverse events that could occur while you are on holiday.

    These typically include:

    • Providing some financial recompense if your trip is cancelled or curtailed due to circumstances beyond your control
    • Medical emergency and/or repatriation expenses if you are ill or injured
    • Loss or damage to your personal possessions
    • Loss or theft of money
    • Expenses incurred due to a delayed departure
    • Expenses incurred replacing a lost passport
    • Legal expenses and personal liability cover in the case of an accident where you cause injury or damage to a third party or their property
    • Compensation if you suffer permanent disability or death whilst on holiday.

    Often these areas of cover are subject to specified limits and excesses, so you will need to read your policy document carefully to check how much you are covered for and what, if any excess you would need to pay in the event of a claim.

    Travel insurance policies may be purchased for individual trips or as an annual policy for all trips taken in the year of insurance.

    You can buy travel insurance from many different sources including insurance brokers, travel agents, tour operators, banks, building societies, the post office, retailers, credit card providers or direct from insurers.

    Suppliers offer a variety of methods of purchasing such as over the counter, by telephone, post and over the internet.

  • Important exclusionsarrow

    Claims arising from ongoing medical conditions that you suffer from before you take out the insurance;

    Claims arising from your participation in hazardous activities or some adventure activities such as horse riding, skiing, scuba diving or cycle touring (listed activities vary).

    If you have any pre-existing medical conditions or are planning to participate in any potentially hazardous activities and you want these to be covered, you must tell the insurer before you travel to confirm whether they will cover you for claims arising from these causes. If in doubt ask your insurer.

    About half of the policies in the travel insurance market cover medical expenses caused by a terrorism event, and some policies also cover other costs incurred by terrorism, such as loss of luggage and personal accident. Check your policy for details and shop around to get the cover you want.

  • What other things should I ask or think about when buying travel insurance?arrow

    What are you planning to do? - With the rise in popularity of adventure travel it is increasingly important to ensure you will be covered for any activities you may participate in during your holiday.

    Where are you planning to go - Sometimes it may not be considered safe to travel to certain destinations. If you are unsure, check the Know Before You Go section of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website for advice about your destination.

    If you will be travelling to remote areas of less developed countries where medical treatment may not be readily available, does your insurance cover repatriation costs if you are seriously injured or taken ill?

    What cover do you already have? - Some Household Contents insurance policies may provide cover for personal possessions temporarily taken abroad.  If you already have sufficient cover for taking personal possessions abroad as part of your contents insurance, you may be able to drop this type of cover from your travel insurance package.

    Some credit card providers may offer some elements of travel insurance as part of their product, but cover may be limited. You might therefore have to buy some additional cover to provide the equivalent protection as stand-alone travel insurance.

    What happens if I need help while on holiday? - Most travel insurance policies include a 24-hour emergency service and telephone advice line. Take with you a copy of the policy and a note of the telephone number; many insurers issue a handy card with contact details.

    Take reasonable care - All insurance policies say that you must take care of your belongings at all times. If you don't, the policy may not pay out. Look after your possessions as though they were not insured.

  • How would a no-deal Brexit impact your Travel Insurance?arrow
    We are working to ensure that business continues as normal in the event of a no-deal Brexit. 
    If you are planning to travel during or after 29 March 2019 it is recommended that you take out comprehensive cancellation cover, to cover you in the case of travel disruption. 
    Travel disruption cover is always recommended and will help with some of the financial losses involved with delays and cancellations. Please check whether your policy includes this before travelling. 
    In the event of travel disruption caused by a no-deal Brexit the primary responsibility for offering alternative transport or refunds will rest with your travel company and/or airline, so we recommend you check all provider terms and conditions thoroughly before travelling. 

    European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

    The EHIC currently lets you get state healthcare in other EEA countries and Switzerland at a reduced rate or for free. 
    The Association of British Insurers (ABI) has stated that ‘If the UK leaves the EU on 29 March 2019 without a Withdrawal Agreement in place, and in the absence of a specific agreement to the contrary, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will no longer apply.  This makes it even more important that you have appropriate travel insurance in place to cover medical costs while you are travelling in an EU country, in the same way as you would when travelling to a non-EU country.’
    More comprehensive information can be found here.

    We will continue to update you as the Brexit or no-deal Brexit situation unfolds. Please follow our social media pages and check back to our blog page for further updates.