Do I Need High-Risk Travel Insurance?
Travelling can be a fantastic way to explore new places, try new things, and create lifelong memories. However, it’s important to remember that traveling always comes with a certain level of risk. Whether it’s lost luggage, cancelled flights, or medical emergencies, unexpected events can happen.
To help mitigate these risks, it’s strongly recommended to take out travel insurance. At the same time, a standard travel policy won’t necessarily cover you for every situation. If you’re planning a trip that involves activities or destinations that are considered dangerous, of if you have any underlying medical conditions, then high-risk travel insurance is likely to be the solution.
What Is High-Risk Travel Insurance?
High-risk travel insurance is a type of travel insurance designed to provide coverage for activities or destinations that are considered higher risk than normal travel. Some examples of high-risk activities or destinations might include:
- adventure sports such as bungee jumping, skydiving, or scuba diving
- travel to counties with high levels of crime, civil unrest or political instability
- travel to regions with high levels of natural disasters, such as hurricanes, earthquakes, or wildfires
- travel to remote or hard-to-reach areas where emergency medical assistance may be limited
If you’re planning a trip that involves any of these activities or destinations, it’s worth considering whether travel insurance for high-risk countries is right for you.
Are you interested in finding out when the best time might be to take out travel insurance? You can find more information in our handy guide.
What Is High-Risk Medical Travel Insurance?
High-risk medical travel insurance is another type of specialist travel insurance for people with any underlying or serious medical conditions, such as cancer, terminal illnesses, or heart conditions. Due to the limited support that may be available abroad, these travellers are often considered to be at higher risk. As such, they may find their standard travel insurance policies won’t cover them should they require medical treatment while travelling.
Do I Need High-Risk Travel Insurance?
Whether or not you need high-risk travel insurance will depend on a few different factors, including:
- The activities that you’ll be doing – If your trip involves activities that are considered high-risk, such as adventure sports or extreme outdoor activities, then you’re likely to need high-risk travel insurance. This can provide coverage for injuries or accidents that may occur while you’re participating in these activities.
- The destinations you’ll be visiting – If you’re travelling to a country or region that isn’t considered safe to visit, high-risk country travel insurance can provide coverage for theft or loss of personal belongings, as well as emergency medical assistance if needed.
- Any pre-existing medical conditions – If you suffer from any serious medical conditions, travel insurance for pre-existing conditions will ensure you receive the full medical treatment you need should these conditions flare up while abroad.
What Does High-Risk Travel Insurance Cover?
Both travel insurance for high-risk countries and travel insurance for medical conditions can provide a range of coverage depending on the specific policy you choose. At Higos, we offer specialist personal coverage policies for most needs. Our high-risk travel insurance will typically include:
- Emergency medical assistance – This can provide coverage for medical expenses if you become injured or ill while travelling.
- Emergency medical evacuation – If you need to be transported to a hospital or medical facility due to a medical emergency, this coverage can help cover the costs of transportation.
- Trip cancellation or interruption – When a trip is cancelled or interrupted due to unexpected events, such as a natural disaster or political unrest, high-risk country travel insurance can help reimburse you for any non-refundable expenses.
- Personal liability – If you cause damage to property or injure someone else while travelling, this coverage can help you cover the costs of any legal fees or damages awarded against you.
It’s important to note that high-risk travel insurance may not cover everything, and there may be limitations depending on the policy you choose. If you’re in doubt or have any specific requirements you need your high-risk travel insurance to include, we’d recommend speaking to us directly. At Higos, our chartered insurance brokers are experts at providing you with the best coverage for your needs.
If you’re interested in travel insurance for high-risk countries or travel insurance for pre-existing conditions, get in contact with us today. We aim to offer fair and independent advice on all travel insurance. Whatever your holiday – it has to be Higos.